Adding social value through parks
The Naturally Birmingham Project is looking to help business and organisations fulfil their social value green commitments through activities within Birmingham’s Parks and green spaces.
- We want to encourage businesses to get involved with Naturally Birmingham through park activities, staff engagement days and social value activities.
- We want to ensure that businesses are involved with looking after their local green spaces.
- We will support businesses to look at the opportunities that will give back in the long term including sponsorship, the support of training courses for those with an interest in the green sector and more…
- Employee health and wellbeing is very important and we want to encourage businesses to support employees that wish to use the green spaces around Birmingham to support their health and wellbeing.
Social Value activities can be supported through
- LOCAL EMPLOYMENT – create employment and training opportunities for local people especially in target areas including, work experience, placements, apprenticeships, internship and mentoring. Seeking opportunities to work with schools and colleges to help to ensure that the local young people are equipped with the right skills to match the requirements of the labour market.
- PARTNERS IN COMMUNITIES – Build capacity by supporting community organisations with resources and expertise in areas with the greatest need, for example mentoring and working with youth organisations and services. Help to support the health and wellbeing of communities in which the business operates by for example linking with local schools and colleges, other local businesses and residents’ groups to help run or sponsor activities / events, which will directly benefit those living there.
- GREEN AND SUSTAINABLE – commit to protecting the environment, minimising waste and energy consumption, using resources efficiently and contributing towards Birmingham’s Clean Air Zone.
As well as our current activities which include,
- Maintaining Paths and rights of ways.
- Renovation and construction of pools.
- Managing internationally threatened habitats e.g. Heathland Management.
- Traditional Woodland Management days including tree planting.
- Creation of garden spaces including sensory gardens.
- Building/facilities renovation.
- Preservation of archaeological features.
- Creation of new hedgerows.
- The ancient art of hedge laying.
- Meadow creation.
- Formal gardening.
- Litter picking.
There is also an opportunity for future activities which include expanding on the current activities and creating a sense of ownership through the following;
- Sponsorship of a park, community garden, tree, benches, activity, event for community etc
- Green finance and thinking – ensure parks are around for future generation, taking ownership of park activities and improvements – collaboration with Friends Groups and other green community groups.
For example a £1k sponsorship could contribute to
- tree planting contributing to Birmingham’s Carbon Neutral ambition.
- lighting in the parks, making parks feel safer – encouraging more use from all of the community
- a communal ask for more toilets within parks – more people will visit parks and stay longer
Parks need people and people need parks we would therefore love to have a conversation with you around your social value and green commitments, so please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org